Mexican Veggie Soup





I love it when different vegetables come packaged together with the purpose of being used in a soup, stew or other dish. I picked this one up at the Hispanic market the other day, and used it to make veggie soup over the weekend. The soup turned out really good!

Here is what wound up going in the soup:

A chunk of cabbage (about 1/4 of a medium head)
6 stalks of celery
5 carrots
A small zucchini
1 small yellow onion
1 jalepeno pepper
A lime
A big bunch of cilantro (I used half for the soup, and the other half went into a salsa)
A small ear of corn (I also had one in my fridge that was getting on, so I used two)
A medium red potato (just one, so I left the peel on and diced it kind of small)
Half a chayote squash (I LOVED this in the soup. I just chopped it and tossed it in without peeling. It cooked up with a really nice, firm but tender texture and picked up the flavor of the broth wonderfully.)

I chopped all that up and added to the crockpot (except I didn't chop the lime, I squeezed the juice in)

Then I added:

A big can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of water (using the crushed tomato can)
2 small cans of tomato paste
Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce
Salt

This made a big crockpot full of slightly spicy, tangy, rich, tomatoe-y vegetable soup. Enough for a couple of dinners and a few lunches for me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twice Baked Potatoes

Couscous Salad