Sloppy Joe Ideas

So the lentil sloppy joes I made from a recipe on line ("oh, all my omni friends beg for this!" she said) were not very tasty at all. I spent an hour chopping and sauteing veggies, making the sauce from scratch, etc. and wound up adding a ton of ketchup, mustard and chili powder to get it to taste anything at all like a sloppy joe my husband would recognize. The flavor was close but the texture was really off-putting.

I may try it with lentils and rice at some point. If I make taco-style lentils and rice, then add ketchup, maple syrup and mustard, that might be pretty decent. Lentils and rice together have a bit more of a hamburger-y texture than lentils alone.

The other idea I had is to make baked bean sandwiches. The flavor of baked beans is basically the same as sloppy joes, and while the texture is different it is familiar and goes well with the sauce. Eaten on a bun with pickles and mustard, with sweet potato fries on the side and coleslaw, sounds like it might be pretty darn tasty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Couscous Salad

Twice Baked Potatoes